What is it?
Narrative: Web3 social
GM.xyz is a social platform for Web3 communities.
GM is the async communication hub for scaling Web3 communities. PTSD from Discord, Telegram, Signal members, channels, chats, notificaitons.
GM borrows Reddit's sub-reddit and thread model... With
- Wallet sign-in
- Verified PFP's
- NFT Portfolio
- Gated communities based on assets such as DAO tokens or NFT's
Web3 communities need a solution now.
Current state is:
- can't synthesize info from 10's/100's of discord/telegram/signal chats
- it's so distracting
- impossible to go back in time to previous info
- bots dominate chat channels
- Reddit's been playing with Web3 utilities for some time - they have x, y, and z. GM started in August 2022 and has a b c x y z. The Web2 monopolies can't move as fast!
- Reddit can't!
Current: building Web3 utilities in a Web2 app based on web2 architecture
- Web 2 architecture is faster to build on
- It's more important to have a good application & many users rather than a decentralized app & no users
- you're at an ETH conference and want to connect with people there. Open your DM's only to users with the conference POAP
- you have a massive following, open your DM's for $10 a chat
What does a DAO need?
- Async chat ()
- tokens (e.g. ERC 20/721/1115??)
- governance (e.g. )
- fund raising (e.g. )
What does a decentralized community need?
- tangible incentives and rewards
- most valuable contributors / contributions
- who's inviting users, how engaged are their users
- who's making posts, how engaged/popular are their posts
- how can we compensate those community members (Have a look at Friends With Benefits)
Power to the people! Blogging =>
Mediumowns the content, the platform, owns the newsletter, and charges me $70 a year to publish. Users need to spend $70 a year to read. $$ received = none.
Substackfree platform for writing and publishing newsletters. Enables writers to charge a subscription
Mirror.xyzenables users to issue NFT's of their posts to purchase content. Writers can charge followers, writers can crowdfund new content they want to write
GM's built on Web2 infrastructure, currrent focus is building something people love rather than building decentralzied something people don't want.
- Balaji/Naval talking about a social media backend that anyone can read or write to
- progressive decentralization
Why GM is different to Lens
- platform for web3 communities
- WHere it's headed
- decentralized social media